Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Zumbo Layers

I know what you must be thinking, “Geez, we haven’t seen any Zumbo posts lately! I hope Belle@OohLook is keeping her strength up by eating enough cake..”.

Rest assured, I am getting enough cake, and keeping tally for posterity (and posterior – mine). Luckily for me, the queues at Zumbo are thinning out a little after the MasterChef excitement and there are plenty of cakes for everyone. Better be quick, though, I imagine that the Sydney International Food Festival will be whipping up more enthusiasm shortly.

And so while waiting for the new Adriano Zumbo Patissier range due in a couple of months, here is a montage of previous layered or Opera-style cakes. The dates are when I first tried the cakes.

August 2007 – Imperial. One of the first layered cakes, topped with gold leaf.

September 2007 – Magilla. Magic gorilla?

November 2007 – Cha cha cha. This had salt flakes on the chocolate plates, and a tinge of very hot chilli, yowza!

December 2007 – Scuro. This cake was so good it was reissued in February 2009. A stunner.

March 2008 – Piste as she goes. Strange name for a strange cake. Pistachio, from what I remember…I didn’t post on this cake, but I certainly ate it!

April 2008 – Essaouria. The chocolate plates have become a recurring theme, and this Moroccan-inspired fantasy did not disappoint.

July 2008 – Cinque Terre. Ooh, how I loved this cake – the olive pieces in the chocolate mousse, the meringue, oh yum…

September 2008 – Tanzanie. Don’t you just love the neat layers and the Magilla-like curve of glossy chocolate

November 2008 – Cassius. The perfect combination of choc plates and Opera layers.

Craigie Bam! (top photo) – November 2008. Salted caramel crumbs, chocolate and more caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment